Friday, August 20, 2010

Someone keeps portscanning me, my antivirus classifies it as a Medium risk level alert, what do i do

The IP that is trying to port scan me 17 times now is 81.106.136.157, is there any way i can block this IP from coming into communication with my PC? I have Symantec Norton Protection Center (got it with my LINKSYS router) and it keeps telling me it blocked a portscan..



Any idea what to do?



Someone keeps portscanning me, my antivirus classifies it as a Medium risk level alert, what do i do?firewall



If the scanning is truly persistant or is approaching DOS bandwidth consumption, you could try filing a complaint with the persons ISP, in this case virginmedia.com, a British ISP. Here is the link for their abuse notifications department;



http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netrepo...



If you choose to file a report, be sure %26 include detailed information, such as the exact time of the probes, port connections attempted, cut and paste of the logs, etc.



However a lot of time scans and probes are spoofed to appear to have come from a different IP than the true originating IP, also some of the scans are perpetuated by worms seeking to replicate from infected computers, or the product of massive ping sweeps to determine live hosts for further scanning / unprotected hosts, etc...



In other words don't expect a lot of help. If you receive an answer to your complaint at all normally it is in the form of an automated ''Thank You for your report, We here at WHATEVER ISP take abuse reports very seriously blah, blah,blah...''

No comments:

Post a Comment